Build on Purpose Programme
The business-building programme for values-led Digital / Tech Consultancies and Agencies
The Build on Purpose programme is a 12 month business building programme to scale Digital / Technology agencies and consultancies beyond the CEO. Part framework, part mentoring, and part peer mastermind, it is an intentional, practical and human way to make strategy happen, especially in an uncertain economic climate.
We work closely with CEOs to meet their goals, with an emphasis on balancing profit and purpose; values lived and value created; and work and enjoyment.
The CEOs we typically work with lead companies which have succeeded at startup - there's a team of a dozen or more in place, there's revenue and cash flow, and they're ready for scaling. Often, they've hit one or a combination of the following:
- CEO too frequently firefighting or diving into individual deals
- Organisation not growing as strongly as they'd like, or they've hit a plateau
- There's too much dependency on the CEO, and the leadership team's not carrying as much weight as the CEO would hope
- It's hard to feel a sense of control
- Too many strategies, too few implemented to conclusion
- Values and Purpose are important, but aren't as visible or explicit in how the company works as they'd like
The main outcome of the Build on Purpose programme is a CEO and leadership team that are in control, a business that's scaling intentionally and in a manageable way, and a more enjoyable and values-centric company.
Along the way, we build the following:
- A practical understanding of what's involved in growing a profitable, values-centred business
- Clarity and alignment on the purpose and values of the organisation, and a practical way to embed these into the day-to-day
- A clear, aligned and effective leadership team structure to deliver scale and strategy
- An approach to making proactive decisions to protect your business short and long term in recession
- Strategies and processes for acquiring the right new clients
- Clarity on client revenue splits and strategy and plan to increase revenue from and value provided to existing clients
- How to maximise value of your delivered projects for your client and your organisation
- A practical process to optimise fee earning, team development and purpose into operations
- A robust process to attract, recruit, retain and grow the best fit team for your organisation
- How to become a learning organisation so that you are constantly ahead of the curve and improving
- How to realistically factor in development of the right Intellectual Property and use it in meeting your strategic goals
- An approach, templates and agendas to make strategy happen while still running the business
- How the full system comes together for a continually evolving and strengthening organisation
The Build on Purpose framework, including the coaching and mentoring, has supported scale and success for many consultancies and agencies on a one-to-one basis.
This new format takes it to a group basis, still delivered personally by our founder (see below), but with the addition of a peer level mastermind. It contains a combination of live webinars; group and one-to-one sessions; detailed recorded videos, templates and documentation; and peer group masterminds. The group contains the CEOs and leadership teams of a small, tightly selected, group of agencies / consultancies.
Our live sessions will also deal with the messiness that is people - open discussions and suggestions on dealing with the humanity that sits atop the frameworks, and the grey spaces that all leaders face.
As this is a beta launch, cost will not be an issue (companies that would struggle to fund this would likely be too small to qualify). The key criterion for participation will be company and CEO fit for the programme, and their capacity for engagement.
The full Build on Purpose programme covers all key areas of managing and scaling a values-led technology or digital agency / consultancy. Although there is clearly some overlap, the high level areas we work on are:
- The team - who does what, and how do we enable scale beyond the CEO;
- The pulses - the heartbeats that every company needs in order to control its business operationally, make strategy happen, and continually improve;
- The big picture - how the business fits into its overall purpose, and how it makes that real;
- Business areas - specific business areas within a technology / digital agency or consultancy.
Being CEO can be lonely. However transparent we aspire to be, there will always be some conversations, some topics, some concerns, some ambitions which we have no one to talk to about.
This is where the CEO Space comes in. Although other areas of the programme can be shared with your leadership team, this is a space for CEOs only. Through facilitated mastermind sessions, you will have discussions virtually, and if possible, in person on occasion with other values-centric CEOs of companies in our space. We will discuss issues central to your own mindset and growth, as well as some of the very human trials and tribulations of managing a group of individuals.
About your guide
I'm Iyas, the founder of Beyond the Quarter. I've led tech consultancies and digital agencies from 2 man startup to a team of around 500; from plateaus to rapid growth; from implosion to turnaround; through acquiring and being acquired; through IPO and a high 8-figure trade-sale.
Along the way, I set up a charity that's helped thousands of children in refugee camps, under occupation and in war zones.
All of that happened by focussing on values, on execution, and on having an absurd amount of fun along the way.
Today, with Beyond the Quarter, I use what I've learned and continue to learn to support entrepreneurs and leaders build remarkable companies. Companies that lead with purpose and values, are profitable, create a positive impact and are fun to work in.
- Co-founded and led a business and technology consultancy;
- Grew it with clients like Virgin Atlantic, HSBC and Lloyds of London;
- Acquired by a consultancy / full services agency, and joined its board;
- Led turnaround of our largest team, from imploding to becoming a destination employer;
- On the board as we IPOed on AIM, then as we sold the company to a large corporate for over £40 million;
- Led a team of 500 consultants across Europe post-acquisition;
- Started charity which has taken children from war zones and provided trauma therapy to thousands;
- Supported other companies multiply their revenues and profits while deepening their purpose and values;
- Always with humour. Always.
What our clients say
His emphasis on values helped us improve our delivery model, grow our accounts, improve our hiring strategy and improve our overall operations. We substantially grew a number of our main accounts. Our team became happier - we only had one leaver in 12 months."
Read more -->
Liam McDowell, MD MagenTys
"He understood each value and why it was important to us, and how growing would affect them. He helped with with strategies, implementation, monitoring and execution, and acted as a conscience to keep us true, motivated and moving."
Sacha Tomey, Founder Adatis
“I chose to engage to get a constructive analysis of our key business processes and operational structures. The ROI was demonstrated by day two. The insights were so powerful that a year-long engagement made complete business sense.” Read More -->
Anders Reeves, CEO Conosco
"We were able to implement real change for good in a way that allowed us to continue with our day to day work as well. We're now executing our list of actions and findings from the diagnostic process and have totally rethought our business and its ambitions." Read More -->
Giles Court, MD Silicon Reef
"He changed my attitude towards how growth can be achieved... He helped us have more “courageous conversations” across the team, meaning we are more open and honest about ourselves individually and collectively, and therefore more productive." Read More -->
David Ellis, MD Station10
“Iyas has brought to us a deep understanding of what it takes to run a successful consulting business, and his advice has proven itself time and time again even when we have been slow to listen! I can highly recommend him as a mentor for any company looking to grow rapidly, sustainably, and on a strong base of values.”
Jon Boxall, MD Wheeve
Apply for programme
The Build on Purpose programme is optimal for digital / tech consultancies and agencies of between 10 and 30 people. Although it delivers a return for organisations beyond this profile, for the beta launch, we are making it as specific as possible and aiming to have a group of peers. Please complete the following questions in order to arrange a conversation.